Monday, July 4, 2011
Changeling is not available for Argentina : Batista
Argentina coach Sergio Batista sees no reason for shaking up his starting line up for Wednesday's must win Copa America match with Columbia.
The Albiceleste failed to impress in their opening Group A fixture against rank outsiders Bolivia after needing a late Sergio Aguero strike to seal a disappointing 1-1 draw in front of the expectant home crowd.
They must now beat group leaders Colombia, who beat Costa Rica 1-0 in their opening game, or risk crashing out of the group stage.
And speaking of his plans for this Wednesday's showdown on his personal Twitter account, Batista claims he has no intentions of making drastic changes.
"To start with, there will not be big changes to take on Colombia," Batista wrote on Sunday evening, before adding that there was no way that he will be taking the Cafeteros lightly.
"We are completely focused on next Wednesday's game in the Copa America."
Sunday, July 3, 2011
Copa America Mexico's campaign in tatters
4 Mexican players have been singled out after drug test results taken during their CONCACAF Gold Cup victory, showed traces of a banned substance.
Speaking to Televise, FIFA's chief medical officer Jeri Dvorak said: "5 players tested positive for a relatively high concentration of clenbuterol (and) we have 4 others with traces of the same substance." He did not reveal the names of the players concerned.
However, Dvorak doesn’t believe that Mexico's recent travails with doping allegations shows a systemic problem in Mexico.
He said, "No, it is difficult for me to imagine that practically an entire team from a developing country such as Mexico (would do that)."
"We have no evidence that there is systematic doping in Mexico."
The four tested players were found to have traces of clenbuterol is their bloodstream- just not enough to yield a positive result.
"Those (4 tests) were negative, let's be clear about that," Dvorak said.
These allegations will rock Mexico's Copa American campaign, which kicks off against Chile on 4 July.
We are eager to face Argentina: Colombian striker Adrian Ramos
Colombian striker Adrian Ramos was pleased to get on the score sheet to give his country a 1-0 wins over Costa Rica.
The forward scored in the dying moments of the 1st half after being put through by a superb through ball from Porto's Fredy Guarin, and was pleased with the result.
He said to TYC Sports, "To start with a win always gives confidence. The team played well at times and not so well at others. We managed to get the job done and secure the three points."
The Colombians next face hosts Argentina, who has started the competition underwhelming after a 1-1 draw with Bolivia.
However, Ramos believes his side will still take the challenge seriously.
The Hertha Berlin striker added, "We will prepare the same way: we will train well and be strong. We are now firmly focused on the game against Argentina."
Thursday, June 30, 2011
Maria and Lakers' guard Vujacic gets engaged.
Three-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova got engaged to her boyfriend, Los Angeles Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic, after he proposed on Tuesday night at his Manhattan Beach, Calif. home. The 2 had been dating for nearly a year. TMZ was the first to report the news. Sharapova's agent has since confirmed it to CNBC's Darren Rovell.
Sharapova and Vujacic 1st went public with their relationship last November when they were seen cuddling at a U2 concert in Los Angeles. Since then, the relationship has become the fodder of tabloids and paparazzi, as the athletes have been photographed together in Los Angeles and Italy, where they vacationed.
This summer, Sharapova invited Vujacic to join her in training at the IMG Academy in Florida. The backup guard for the 2 time defending champions credited his girlfriend for helping him prepare for the upcoming basketball season.
Neither should be worried about the inevitable questions on whether marriage will negatively impact their games. Vujacic averaged a career low in points, rebounds, minutes and assists with the Lakers, while Sharapova struggled in Grand Slams and didn't live up to the high expectations following her comeback from shoulder surgery.
No wedding plans have been announced, but given that Vujacic's seasons in Los Angeles often last until mid-June, a post-Wimbledon date could be in the offing.
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Swings bat amid rehab by Derek Jeter.
Derek Jeter hit off a tee and took soft toss in Tampa on Saturday, but he did not run continued his rehab from his strained right calf.
Until Jeter begins full-out sprints, a timetable for his return to the pursuit of three thousand hits will not be known. The New York Yankees plan on being very cautious.
"I don't think there is an exact science," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We just have to make sure his legs are under him and that he can make those sharp cuts that he needs to make. He can get out of the box fine. When he does start that, we have to make sure he is ready, in a sense."
On Saturday, Jeter took 27 swings off a tee and 30 soft toss swings. Jeter also played catch. He is eligible to come off the disabled list on Wednesday. He is not expected to be ready in time. After he is cleared to run fully, the Yankees want him to play a game or two in the minors.
"If you try to come back too early, now you are talking a month," Girardi said. "We have to just make sure when it is time for him to go, it is time for him to go."
Jeter needs just six hits to become the first Yankee with 3,000 for his career. The chase has been on hold since he got hurt June 13.
On Sunday, Jeter turns 37, which means he will not be joining an exclusive group. Only three players (Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron and Robin Yount) have reached 3,000 hits before their 37th birthday. All-time hit king, Pete Rose, got to 3,000 twenty-one days after his 37th birthday.
When Jeter reaches 3,000, he will be the 28th player in history to make it to the mark. With the home series against the Milwaukee Brewers in the middle of next week appearing more and more out of the question, Jeter could get to 3,000 in New York.
The Yankees face the Mets next weekend at Citi Field. After three games in Cleveland, they finish with four at home against Tampa.
Meanwhile, right-hander Bartolo Colon, out with a strained right hamstring, felt good after his first bullpen session Friday. He's scheduled to pitch in a simulated game on Monday in Tampa.
Converted reliever Mark Prior, on the DL at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre because of a strained groin, also was scheduled to throw off a mound Saturday.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)




